Monday, August 2, 2010

A Little One's Pocket

"Boy's! Get your stuff together we're getting ready to go!"
It takes about 30minutes to get the kids from my mother's living room to the back seat of the car. As I was walking the children out the front door of my mother's farm house my youngest son walked up to me with his little hand clinching his shorts pocket tightly and stated in an innocent voice... " THERE'S NOTHING IN MY POCKET MOM!" Now every mother of a little boy knows that what he really meant was "MOM - YOU NEED TO CHECK MY POCKET RIGHT AWAY!"
I had a gut feeling this was going to be interesting.
"Let me see what's in your pocket Brent." I replied.
"No!, There's Nothing in my pocket!"
For fear of what it could be he was hiding I changed the tone of my voice..."LET ME SEE NOW!"
He put his head down in shame, reached into his pocket and pulled out a frog! Oh My...
I tried to keep from laughing then quickly realized that this frog looked familiar. It was the same frog I had seen my son playing with in the yard about two hours before that!
Oh No I thought to myself. Could this frog have been in his pocket for the past 2 hours! We had done a lot in that past two hours; went to the store, went on a walk, the boys wrestled outside.
It was clear that the poor frog was dead but I explained to the kids that the frog was tired and sleeping and that we had to take him back to his home. Brent wanted to keep him forever!
When we finally arrived home the boys rushed inside. As usually I lagged behind because of having to carry things in and cleaning up the car. On my way in the house I passed a frog on the sidewalk. "Run little frog." I whispered. "RUN!"

1 comment:

  1. Frog in the pocket for two hours...oh man, I actually laughed out loud when I read your story here. It's like one of those moments in a movie where you see the ridiculous that can only be true when it comes on the form of a 10 year old (or whatever age). I like your writing style and would like to subscribe to your magazine!

    ReplyDelete