Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A Child's Understanding

The other day while driving my children to the babysitter before work my oldest son told me that he wished that I didn't have to go to work and that he wanted me to stay home with him everyday. It made me sad, and I pondered on that statement for a moment. Then I tried to explain that if mommy didn't go to work that he could not have all of the nice things he has. There would be no sports or ice cream stops in the evening. No vacations or circus or amusement parks. As I struggled to explain and justify my feelings I knew that he couldn't possibly understand being 5. Then I thought back to when I was that age and remembered asking my mother the same question. It wasn't until now that I understood and I am grateful to my mother for trying to provide the very best for me. I only hope that in the future my children will also understand my sacrifices for them to have the very best of everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment